Considerations for CDN citizen remaining NR in US while on TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rradb@hotmail.com

Considerations for CDN citizen remaining NR in US while on TN

Post by rradb@hotmail.com »

Canadian Citizen working in US on TN, starting mid May 2018. Return to Canada every second weekend and have significant ties, student loan, RRSP, and other financial ties and a weekend casual position while in Canada.

Wondering if maintaining NR status is purposeful for 2019. What are the gains and losses?

Also for 2018 as US NR and working in Canada first 3 months, do I file 1040NR or Canadian taxes first?
Where can I get more info on use of treaty?
nelsona

Re: Considerations for CDN citizen remaining NR in US while on TN

Post by nelsona »

Financial attachments do not make you resident. Because you have no residential attachments, you became non-resident of Canada the day you moved - even if you did not meet SPT for 2018. You should be filing a departure return for 2108, and either 1040NR, dual-status, or full year 1040 for US depending on SPT.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rradb@hotmail.com

Post by rradb@hotmail.com »

I do have a primary residence in Canada for which I am paying a mortgage and not renting. I have family in Canada as well, and return frequently.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Family means spouse, and an empty house is not sufficient either, that is simply a cottage. Is that your case? It is good to present full information when asking a question on residwency, since it could involve dozens of things.

In any event, the pros and cons of TRULY maintaining Cdn residency or not have been widely discussed here.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D