Dual Nationality

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

nash

Dual Nationality

Post by nash »

I am deciding to immigrate to Canada along my family on skilled workers program. My wife and children hold British Passports but are UK non-residents. I have got following queries:

1. Should I apply on my ground on an Asian passport or
2. Should my wife apply as she is holding a British Passport (as her education and job experience is same as mine)
3. Is her British passport going to favor and speed up the process
4. Do my family have to give up their British passports if we get the Canadian Immigration

I would be thankful if someone clarifies my questions.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Immigrating to canada is not based on other nationality, so it doesn't matter how you apply.

You will not be granted Cdn citizenship when you immigrate, so there is nothing to give up at this point.

Only if you get Cdn citizenship is there a possibility that your other citizenship would be forfeited. Britain does not forbid dual nationality, nor does canada, The asian country of which you speak might deny their citizenship if you becoame a CDn citizens -- that is up to them.

But that would be many years from now.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nash

Post by nash »

I appreciate your prompt response but I think I did not make myself clear what I was trying to ask.
My basic query was, should I be the principal applicant or my wife as she holds a British passport also. Is the process going to be a swift one in this case although I know that one gets the citizenship after a required period on reaching Canada. Thanks a lot.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I did answer yoru question. Canada does not have preference categorieas based on nationality.

Each eprson is judged on their merit. Put forward the person who scores highest on their immigration score.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Derington

Post by Derington »

I have read this thread and I have learnt a very important point form it.
Which is , you should apply with person who has more immigration score instead of the person with minimum immigration score.