TN visa as Engineer as Contractor via LLC??

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm

TN visa as Engineer as Contractor via LLC??

Post by ith123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm Canadian and was wondering if it is possible to have the following set up:
-Large University wants to hire me as an engineer for a project (actually that I've been working on for some time) but can't make me an employee for a number of reasons (=bureaucracy - if I'm an employee vs contractor they have to technically double their budgeting because they need to allocate overhead vs just pay the amount they have).
-I have a personal LLC that I own all of.
-I am having an issue (again bureaucracy) where it is difficult for them to hire me as an independent contractor, SO:

--->Can Big University hire me as an engineer for 3 years (or less?) via the LLC (for liability and bureaucratic reasons) under the TN visa??
-i.e. the letter would say, "we are contracting to this individual for an engineering project through his personal LLC "X LLC" for $x and would like a TN for 3 years?

I know there are issues with being self employed but I've heard that it's not self-employment (1099 vs W2) that is the issue but rather self-sponsorship which is not allowed.

Thanks so much for the help!

Posts: 16426
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am

I would avoid saying "thru company xxx.." Just say that they will be hiring YOU, that is sufficient, and will be paying you xxx
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply