Is Form 8833 still required, now that Form 8891 is obsolete?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

boogens8

Is Form 8833 still required, now that Form 8891 is obsolete?

Post by boogens8 »

I have a question about still needing to include Form 8833, as it relates to deducting RRSP contributions from my T4 Canadian wages, that I report on my US Tax Return.

In previous years, I had filed Form 8833 with my US return, to explain that I was deducting my current-year RRSP contributions from my T4 Canadian wages, since they are reported as combined on my T4, but the US reports wages and retirement contributions differently on the W2.

Now that Form 8891 is no longer required for RRSPs, is it still necessary to file form 8833 to explain the deduction of my RRSP contributions from my Canadian reported wages, or does the US understand this implicity now?

I know that these are potentially two unrelated reporting issues, (8891 vs 8833) but I'm wondering if form 8833 is really still required, in this case, or if anyone has any thoughts on this?

My motivation on this question actually relates to eFiling.
Form 8833 is easy enough to include, but then I'm unable to eFile because I have a Form 8833 as part of my return, and so I have to mail a paper return.
I would be able to eFile if I didn't have any 8833's included, hence I'd rather not include that form unless it is still required.

Thanks in advance for any input.

This forum is always a great help for me.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As it applies to RRSP DEDUCTIBILITY, 8833 should continue to be used. 8891 had nothing to do with this, since it existed before the treaty protocoal which made at-work RRSP contributions deductible.

The best way to handle e-filing for a form that you cannot e-file, is simply to e-file, and then amend the return using 1040-X, and sending in the form (we all used to do this when 8891 was not part of software.

8833 doesn't affect your return, so there is no reason to paper file the whole return simply for this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
boogens8

Post by boogens8 »

Fantastic information.
thanks for the reply nelsona,
always appreciated, never expected.