Schedule A for T1234 - Income from source outside Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cando28

Schedule A for T1234 - Income from source outside Canada?

Post by Cando28 »

My apologies, as my question might seem very dull. My first Departure return- trying to learn here and scratching my head :)

When filling Schedule A for T1234, should I be only calculating my "income from sources outside Canada" as income while/until I was resident in Canada? or account for rest of the year too?

Since, I do provide my departure date on T1, my thought process that I need to only provide numbers while I was a resident. I only had one job source while in Canada and no other income sources so my Line 6 or Line 13 on Schedule A = zero. ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

T1234 is not for you if you are a departing resident. You need to file a regular return for your last province. A "statement" is added to indicate your foreign and Cdn incomes from AFTER your departure.
CRA will determine if you get all your deductions, based on you reporting 90% of your world income (after you left).

The forms you are looking at are for non-residents, which you are not. You are a departing resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is the best page to read on departure, from CRA, along with the emigrant guide

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/nd ... g-eng.html
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Cando28

Post by Cando28 »

Thankyou. Needless to say you are absolutely correct. I read the T1234 again and it does say "Complete this schedule and attach it to your return if you were a non-resident of Canada or a deemed non-resident of Canada FOR ALL OF 2014 " ,,,,the FOR ALL OF makes it all clear.

I read through the " Federal non refundable tax credits for newcomers and emigrants".

The examples given, ask to calculate the claimable amounts per the number for days I was resident of Canada.
And in the end - as you mentioned - it states " If you are claiming full federal non-refundable tax credits, attach a note to your return stating your net world income (in Canadian dollars) for the part of 2014 that you were not a resident of Canada.

I am confused again as to should I be claiming full credits and attach this note for CRA to determine or I should prorate as per the examples provided? :roll: or why would one claim FULL et-all , if they are filling departure return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CRA will determine what they credit based on your statement. Claim them all and see. Your software might even give you some direction.
The steps are pretty clear to follow.