CAD Dividends on US return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Willyt

CAD Dividends on US return

Post by Willyt »

I am Canadian, married to a USC and living in the U.S. since 11/16/12. My CAD broker had not changed my residency correctly when requested so now for my non-registered investment account I have a T5(Statement of Investment Income) declaring:

a - Actual amount of eligible dividends(2 quarterly payouts)
b - Taxable amount of eligible dividends
c - Dividend tax credit for eligible dividends

and 2 NR4's(Statement of Amounts Paid to NR's of Canada) declaring:

d - Gross income(2 quarterly payouts)
e - NR tax withheld(3 quarterly payouts)

Firstly, NR tax was only withheld from 3 of the 4 quarterly payments so I need to pay Canada the other payment?

Then with the US return, what values actually get reported and where? Do I report both (a + d) above on 1099-DIV as Ordinary dividends and (e) as Federal Tax Withheld? Anywhere else?

Thanks for all you do!
Willyt

Post by Willyt »

My bad. Just found my 1099-DIV in the scanner that has amounts for box 1a(Ordinary div's), 1b(Qualified div's), and 6(Foreign tax paid). So it appears I simply match those to my form 1099-DIV and the forms mentioned in my original post are for my Canadian return? Now to look at Form 1116. Where to report Interest Expense incurred earning dividends?
Willyt

Post by Willyt »

Am I correct in my interpretation that foreign dividends are passive and therefore ineligible for an investment expense deduction?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do need to send CRA a check for the NR tax for portion that was not withheld.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D