Form T2209 - Federal Foreign Tax Credits Line 431

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxiscomplicated

Form T2209 - Federal Foreign Tax Credits Line 431

Post by taxiscomplicated »

Hello all,

I am getting paid in US and residing in Canada.

Do I add (Federal income tax withheld + Social Security Tax + Medicare Tax withheld) in the W2 form and put on Line 431 on Form T2209?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. You put the tax calculated on your 1040NR and your state tax return, plus your FICA (SS and Medicare). What was withheld form your paycheck is meeningless. It is the actual tax owed that counts.

I trust when you say you are "paid in US", you mean you are commuting and working in US. Correct?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
taxiscomplicated

Ah, Yes. I am employed by a US firm.

Another question regarding NETFILE with CRA. Since I have to submit my 1040NR and W2, I can only send the returns by mail?

Or should I do a NETFILE and wait for them to contact me?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As with anything that CRA says you must send in witha a paper return, if you netfile, you simply keep it until they ask for it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Again, when you say "employed by a US firm", you maen that you are actaully physically working in US, Correct? This is an important distinction.
taxiscomplicated

hi,

I travel back and forth in the USA but spend more time in Canada than in US!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Is any of your work done in Canada? Really, are you not understanding what zi'm asking?