House under my name in Canada want to become non-resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tax1000

House under my name in Canada want to become non-resident

Post by tax1000 »

I'm a PR of Canada but no longer plan on living there and my PR will expire soon. My only concern is that there is a house under my name, I didn't pay for it and don't live in it. Is there anyway for me to become a non-resident for taxes if this house is under my name? how about if the ownership is changed to another family member's name? Would I still be liable for exit taxes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

All deperting residents are subject to exit taxes. if you move to live legally in another country which has a tax treaty with canada, you will become non-resident of canada even if you have a property in canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tax1000

Post by tax1000 »

[quote="nelsona"]All deperting residents are subject to exit taxes. if you move to live legally in another country which has a tax treaty with canada, you will become non-resident of canada even if you have a property in canada.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

I live in the US now, so that means I'm now a non-resident of Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, assuming you have "more" ties in US than in Canada, you would be considered a "deemed non-resident" of Canada, if the house you own in Canada is empty, or "non-resident " of canada if the house you own is rented out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your departure date would be the date that this situation began.
tax1000

Post by tax1000 »

[quote="nelsona"]Yes, assuming you have "more" ties in US than in Canada, you would be considered a "deemed non-resident" of Canada, if the house you own in Canada is empty, or "non-resident " of canada if the house you own is rented out.[/quote]

Sorry for taking long to reply, but I have 2 more questions.

The house I own, I have relatives living in it. Would that be a problem? And I have bank accounts open too, and I also have my health card. Can I still become a non resident?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I already answered this: you will be resident when your US ties are more than your Cdn ties.
Owning an empty house or having one with relatives is equivalent. It is a strong residential tie, but if you move to US, and live and work there, this outweighs the Cdn house. You become "deemed non-resident", or non-resident by treaty, which is treated exacty the same as true non-resident.
tax1000

Post by tax1000 »

[quote="nelsona"]I already answered this: you will be resident when your US ties are more than your Cdn ties.
Owning an empty house or having one with relatives is equivalent. It is a strong residential tie, but if you move to US, and live and work there, this outweighs the Cdn house. You become "deemed non-resident", or non-resident by treaty, which is treated exacty the same as true non-resident.[/quote]

Thank You Nelsona

While I'm a non-resident of Canada and the house is sold or changed to a family's name, would it cause any tax complication? would I need to pay any kind of tax after the house is changed to a family member's name?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No.
jamesbishop911

Post by jamesbishop911 »

ok if he does not pay taxes no more coz he will be considered as non resident of canada then his relatives are living in the house ,will be his relatives will pay the taxes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

it will be there house, so they won;t pay tax on it either. Homes aren't taxed in canada.