Final expatriate return - 1040 or 1040/1040NR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I meant to say adding 8854.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
waldemar

Post by waldemar »

[quote="nelsona"]I meant to say adding 8854.[/quote]

now I understand. Thank you so much!

Just curious.
Filing a full year 1040 in this situation, would this obligate me to file an fbar if the aggregates were over 10k AFTER expatriation but not before?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Proabaly not, but why split hairs, it takes 10 minutes and is all online.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
waldemar

Post by waldemar »

[quote="nelsona"]Proabaly not, but why split hairs, it takes 10 minutes and is all online.[/quote]
gotcha. thanks a bunch!
clevegirl

Post by clevegirl »

I'm a US citizen from birth who has been living and working only in Canada for the last 20+ years, becoming a Canadian citizen 10 years ago. I renounced my US citizenship in Nov 2013. I'm up to date with US tax returns and am trying to understand the options for filing my 2013 tax and 8854 and other information returns. Is the option to file a 1040 for the entire year instead of breaking it into pre-renunciation 1040 and post-renunciation 1040 NR documented on any form or instruction on the IRS website? I understand from reading this forum that this is an option but I can't seem to find it documented anywhere. Thanks for any guidance in this regard.