Where to put Child Care Credit from Canada on 1040 for USC

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Where to put Child Care Credit from Canada on 1040 for USC

Post by CdnAmerican »

So, in Canada the govt sends you $100 a month if you have a child under a certain age (6, I think). If you are a USC, filing a 1040, do you need to claim this amount anywhere? If so, where?

Simple question, but I haven't seen it on the forum so far.

Thanks!
Not a professional opinion.
carlo

Post by carlo »

I'd put it under "other income" on Line 21
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I list it on our 1040. I'm not sure exactly what line, I just list it as if it was a wage I earned.
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

I don't thnk it's reportable as income because it's essentially an advance on the child tax credit. It's not income. Instead of giving you 1200/yr/child on your annual return in the form of a credit the govt pays it out monthly.

This has been answered before:

http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.p ... b7da874cdd
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I don't report the Child tax benefit to the IRS but I do report the Universal Childcare Benefit. Reason being, the latter is taxable in Canada. If this is wrong, I am happy to stop telling them about it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

eortlund is correct
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nibor

Re: Where to put Child Care Credit from Canada on 1040 for U

Post by nibor »

[quote="CdnAmerican"]So, in Canada the govt sends you $100 a month if you have a child under a certain age (6, I think). If you are a USC, filing a 1040, do you need to claim this amount anywhere? If so, where?

Simple question, but I haven't seen it on the forum so far.

Thanks![/quote]

Hello there,
What is the child care credit?
Thx in advance
nibor

Post by nibor »

Please reply me