PFIC question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

barracudan

PFIC question

Post by barracudan »

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen that transferred from Canada to the US. Since I am with the same employer I did not get any options to move out my RPP pension to a self directed locked-in type retirement account. As a result I am forced to choose between investments that are available in my employer’s benefits provider. They all look like PFICs to me, but I am not sure. Are Blackrock Lifepath funds considered to be PFIC?

Anyone else in a similar situation? Since it is a locked retirement account I think I can only withdraw after 2 years of being a non resident. I hate to think I would have to leave it uninvested for that long.
nelsona

Re: PFIC question

Post by nelsona »

Your employer-sponsored retirement account is exempt from PFIC reporting. Just like RRSP/RRIFs.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
barracudan

Post by barracudan »

Ooh, did not know that for both RRSP and employer sponsored (brain is coloured by RESP restrictions). Thank you so much!
barracudan

Post by barracudan »

Ooh, did not know that for both RRSP and employer sponsored (brain is coloured by RESP restrictions). Thank you so much!
ND

Post by ND »

and since your RRSP is employer sponsored (aka GROUP RRSP contributions through workplace) and you're in the US, you should at least investigate eligibility under the treaty XVIII(12) to deduct (up to the 401k limited amount) on your 1040 contributions to your RRSP and if long-term this is a good plan.