401 k contributions for tax 2008

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dorins

Post by dorins »

Sorry, wrong terminology. Yes, I used CAN taxes in Schedule A, which feeds as an itemized deduction on 1040 line 40a (for 2009).

However, I thought I can use a preliminary calculated CAN tax based on joint income. Once I finalize the 1040NR with the adjusted rate I go back to the CAN taxes and use foreign tax credits. Am I doing this right? I really haven't paid any tax in CAN yet, since both my wife and I are employed in the US.
Cheers
larry

Traditional IRA

Post by larry »

Can the traditional IRA be as deduction in canada tax return like 401K under the new treaty?

Thanks.

larry
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. Only employer-sponsored plans can be deducted, by Cdn residents working in US.

Personal IRAs continue to be non-deductible.

Note that your 401(K) contributions impact your RRSP limit as well, and your RRSP limit affects how much 401(K) you can deduct. The effect is to prevent double dipping deductions in canada for both a 401(K) and an RRSP in excess of your RRSP limit.

See: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc268/rc268-10e.pdf
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D