Canadian citizen working is US...income tax issues

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

i have no idea if quick tax works or not. I'm not a big fan of Intuit.

ufile works.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
canampilot

Post by canampilot »

I have a question whether or not I can write off travel and per diem expenses when I move to Canada and keep my job in the US. I am hoping to work part time in Canada while keeping my full time job in the US(until such time I can break off and go contract).
I have heard that as an employee of the transportation industry I am able to do this.Is this true? Please explain...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Canada does not allow such deductions.

US does under certain circumastances (having nothing to do with the type of work you do), but this would not help you reduce your overall tax bill, which will already be lower in US than Canada.

You would be best to speak with the acct of a coworker who has tried this already.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... same answer as a month ago.
canampilot

Post by canampilot »

Sorry I forgot I asked this before. My Bad...