received NR4, but income was actually received when i am res

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

xiaoice

received NR4, but income was actually received when i am res

Post by xiaoice »

i received two NR4 from Sunlife for two mutual fund I hold. The funds were sold before I left Canada, but instead of T3/T5, I received NR4 (no withheld tax). Should I call Sunlife to correct this? or just simply report this income in my tax return to CRA?

same for the bank interest. I received both T5 and NR4 for the same saving account, but they are not split correctly as it takes a few months for me to get SSN and report it to bank. Can I just report the interest while I am resident using the bank statement? or do I have to ask bank to correct T5?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The type of slip is not important. many firms issue only one slip per customer, based on year-ens status. There is no need for bank to correct anything.

YOU must include or not include income on your return the correct way regardless.

Btw, You did not require SSN to tell bank that you were US resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
xiaoice

Post by xiaoice »

Thanks, Nelson!