Canada , US and India income , what to do

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

satchit

Post by satchit »

Hi,

Here is my situation, I am a Canadian citizen and my family is also canadian.

I am single owner of a Canadian corp doing small software consulting jobs. My wife and I are only the 2 employees in it. In late Jun 2017 , I joined a company in US and started working as their employee in US. My wife alongwith 2 kids moved to India on vacation break in Jun 2017 and returned canada in Aug 2017. I went Canada and the whole family returned to US next day itself.

In June 2017 we took employment income (10.2 K) T4 each from my Canadian corp and in later part of the year paid myself dividend T5 around 28K .
My wife does not work and have no income except what she earned in canada.

I earned US income as well as have some interest income from some banks in India ( Banks in India do tax deductions on the interest income and pay to Indian govt.)

Normally we have filled joint income tax return .

My question is , if I can claim myself as well as my family as Non resident in Canada, if yes then

1) On Canadian return, I have to pay tax on both employment income + dividend income + interest income from India ?

2) On US return , I have to pay tax on US income + canadian dividend + interest income from India ?

3) As I will be working in US for few years and my Canadian corp won't earn a penny during this time, so what can I do about it , can I pay myself employment income in canada , can I pay CPP .

Kindly help me

Raj
satchit

Post by satchit »

Hi Nelsona,

Please answer my queries as well , thanks very much

Raj
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, read my signature. Nothing interesting here for me. happy browsing.
And in future don't bump up your posts.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
satchit

Post by satchit »

Hi Nelsona,

Never expected such a reply from you , feeling sad :(

Anyways you did what you like and I did what I like.

Enjoy your holidays

Raj