Cdn-income tax credits on US return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Dona

Cdn-income tax credits on US return

Post by Dona »

I am Canadian, living permanently in the US. I became US green-card holder in November 2016. In tax year 2017, I had income in both Canada and USA.

I worked in Canada from Jan 1 to Apr 26, 2017 (physically stayed in Canada - under Cdn payroll), and worked in USA from Apr 27 to Dec 31, 2017 (moved permanently to the US - under US payroll of the same company).

My Canadian sources of income:
1. T4, from Jan 1 to Apr 26, 2017 (full time)
** I have a checking account in Canada remain open to receive any work bonuses/ CRA refund.

My US sources of income:
1. W2 from Apr 27 to Dec 31, 2017 (full time)
2. 1099-INT from

I have just filed my Cdn departure tax, and expecting a refund. I am to file my US return and include all sources of income. As it is under $66k threshold for a single to use free e-file, I gave it a try.

If I do not include Cdn income on US tax return, the system calculates and says I am getting the refund. However, if i include it, i have to pay tax.

I am confused and trying to figure out how i claim foreign tax credits (that i paid on Cdn income) on US tax return? Could you please shred some light, much appreciated!
Dona

Post by Dona »

** I forgot to mention, the reason I filed the 2017 (not 2016) as a departure tax return with CRA was that I was back to Canada after I did my port-of entry to activate my US immigrant visa, physically stayed and continued to work till April 26, 2017.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do need to include your Cdn income on your US return for 2017.
The way you filed your Cdn taxes seems appropriate.

I have explained the use of forms 1116 and 2555 elsewhere. Happy browsing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Dona

Post by Dona »

Thank you for the pointer!