Canada USA Dual Tax - Complex Residency Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mech473

Canada USA Dual Tax - Complex Residency Question

Post by mech473 »

I need help finding out if I am deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes in 2017. I left Canada in Feb 2016 and moved to USA on TN visa but my family stayed back and moved to USA in July 2017. In 2016, my accountant filed Canadian taxes as resident of Canada and Married filing jointly in USA. Since Feb 2016 until July 2017, I visited Canada numerous times and my family visited USA

In 2017, I worked both in USA and Canada. I was physically present in USA and worked remotely for Canadian employer and got Canada income with T4, Pension and RRSP contribution through Canadian employer. I am not sure how to go about filing Canadian taxes for 2017 as resident or non resident? I have rental income from Canada as well. Even though Family moved to USA in July 2017, we forgot to stop child tax benefits until Jan 02, 2018. I called CRA and they said I should submit NR73 to determine my resident status for 2017. The more I think I am leaning to file as resident of Canada, which means double taxation in USA and Canada.

any guidance is much appreciated!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are anon-resident since July.

So you file a DEPARTURE return, whijch is a normal return with a july departure date.

There are certain things that need to be dome once you moved, invclufing returning any family benefits, and remiting renatl tax monthly. CRA website explains thes, as do many posts here.

Do not remit an NR73 just for the purpose of determining whther you nedd torepay familuy benefits. You do.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mech473

Post by mech473 »

Thank you Nelsona!