TN1 Visa - Taxation Questions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Canada_BC

TN1 Visa - Taxation Questions

Post by Canada_BC »

Hello.

I am a Canadian citizen that is planning on coming to the USA on a TN1 visa as a Management Consultant. The company I will be working for is intending on paying me as a consultant in Canadian dollars through my Canadian-based Consultancy firm. I will be living full-time in the USA for the next 3-years.

What I am trying to determine are the tax implications and my taxation responsibilities for both the USA and Canada. I will not be maintaining any residence in Canada.
Canada_BC

Post by Canada_BC »

For clarity, the company I will be working for is US-based and they will be paying my personal Canadian-based Consultancy firm.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you will be living in US, you will be taxable in US, because of being resident there, including taxation of your firm.
You may wish to unwind your firm before leaving, and starting a US-based one.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Canada_BC

Post by Canada_BC »

Thank-you for your response.