Cdn non-resident with only bank interest - must I even file?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mappiq

Cdn non-resident with only bank interest - must I even file?

Post by mappiq »

I am a non-resident of Canada (I am a resident of the USA, where I live and work) for the entire 2017 tax year.
I have bank accounts in Canada and earn interest. This bank interest is the [b]only[/b] income I earn in Canada.
I believe that the tax rate on bank interest for non-residents is 0%, so I do not owe any taxes in Canada whatsoever. [paragraph 212(1)(b)]
Can anyone please confirm this?

Now for my question:

Assuming the above is true, I would therefore owe $0 of tax in Canada. Do I have to file a Canadian tax return? Or does this mean that I do not have to file a Canadian return at all?

[Obviously I have to report, file, and pay tax on this in the USA; the question is only regarding Canada.]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Bank interest, even if it was not zero, would not be reported on a tax return in Canada by non-residents. It would be subject to a flat tax as final tax in Canada.

So, for all those reasons: non-resident, % tax rate and flat tax , you do not file a return.

HOWEVER, this begs the question aboutr whether or not you took care of any departure requirements rom when you left Canada (assuming you were resident at one time).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mappiq

Post by mappiq »

There is no departure tax, since I officially emigrated in summer of 2016 and consequently dealt with departure already. In 2016 I also liquidated all my assets (sold my investments) and put the money in interest-bearing non-registered bank accounts. That's all done pre-2017. So for all of 2017 I am a Canadian non-resident with only bank interest. I told my banks about my non-resident status. They haven't taken off any tax.

So, as far as I understand, for me, there's no 2017 Canadian tax at all. And therefore I don't even have to file a 2017 return. I, excitingly, don't have to do anything at all in Canada this upcoming April 2018. Right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is what I was asking: Did you handle your departure tax and obligations in 2016?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mappiq

Post by mappiq »

Yep.
Good to know that I'm henceforth done with Canadian taxes and filing, even though I get Canadian bank interest.
Thanks!
mappiq

File just to carry-forward my tuition credit

Post by mappiq »

Someone advised me, though, that even though I don't *have* to file a (non-resident) Canadian return (since, as stated above, my taxable income was 0), I *should* do it anyway to ensure that my past Tuition Credits continue to be carried forward. The idea being that, if I return to Canada several years from now, I may lose my Tuition Credits if I don't keep reporting that I'm carrying them forward. Is there any truth to this?

[quote="mappiq"]Yep.
Good to know that I'm henceforth done with Canadian taxes and filing, even though I get Canadian bank interest.
Thanks![/quote]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not true. CRA keeps track of all these things. You should too, but not by useless filing.