LIRA portfolio management for non-resident US citizen

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

overthought

LIRA portfolio management for non-resident US citizen

Post by overthought »

Context: I'm a US citizen who worked in Canada for several years but have since returned to the States. I have a LIRA worth ~C$90k, which I duly report on my FBAR every year. My Canadian broker told me before I left that it would become difficult or impossible to make allocation or buy/sell changes to my LIRA portfolio from outside Canada, so I put it all in a "self managing portfolio" account that was supposed to do all that automatically. Turns out it's much better at generating fees ($150/month) than returns (1.5% IRR over the last 3 years). In retrospect, I have to wonder whether the advice was sound or if this was just a convenient excuse to push me into a high-fee situation indefinitely.

So the question: what options do I actually have for managing my LIRA while residing in the US? Given a choice, I'd sink it all into a handful of low-cost index funds and then basically ignore it for the next 25 years except to rebalance on occasion and adjust asset allocations as I age. I don't feel a particular need to bring it across the border, but if that's the only way to get a decent portfolio then I'm open to that idea. I still have Canadian permanent resident status for a couple more years if that helps.

(I was referred here from the Bogle forums)
overthought

Post by overthought »

Thanks for the links, Bubba Gums.

If I'm reading correctly, self-directed retirement plan holders who are "temporary" US residents are exempt from the usual SEC requirements that would require their broker to be registered in both US and Canada. I couldn't find a definition of "temporary" anywhere in your links or the official SEC rule, but I have no plans to move back to Canada and so probably cannot be classed as "temporary" by any reasonable definition.

So I guess that means I need to find a dual-registered broker who charges less than my current self-managed portfolio. That seems like a pretty low bar to meet, given the portfolio's dismal performance. Any recommendations?
Bubba Gums

Post by Bubba Gums »

temporary US residents are exempt from the usual SEC requirements

AND

holders of Canadian self-directed tax advantaged retirement plans.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is not the case.
Visitors are exempt.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D