Canadian Taxation of an American Charitable Trust

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bogivan

Canadian Taxation of an American Charitable Trust

Post by bogivan »

I am a dual citizen living in the US for most of my life, but very likely will be moving to Canada within the next 5 years. I am currently looking at creating a charitable remainder unitrust (CRUT) in the USA shortly, but I want to understand how this trust would be taxed by Canada if I move and become a resident.

The Charitable Remainder Unitrust is irrevocable (non-discretionary or fixed in CRA-terms?). I am 100% funding the trust one time at trust creation, am the sole trustee, and am the sole beneficiary. I would be paid 5% of the trust assets until I die - at which point the charities of my choice will receive the remainder. The trust's income is not taxed at all, but the income I receive is taxed by the IRS in buckets corresponding to dividends, short-term gains, long-term gains, etc.

From what I've uncovered so far, it seems that because the trust is charitable in nature, it would be considered a "exempt foreign trust" to the CRA, but haven't been able to fully understand what it would all mean in the end.

1. How would this trust and trust income I receive be taxed? Would I be able to simply transfer the dividend/gain buckets to the equivalent CRA income tax?

2. What kind of accounting and/or reporting of the trust might be required for the CRA?

3. Does the fact that the trust would be created within 5 years of becoming a resident cause a problem?

4. How painful would this be every year to deal with?

Any assistance or advice is greatly, greatly appreciated.