Dying in US with RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kjtpptt

Dying in US with RRSP

Post by kjtpptt »

Hi,

If I die as a US resident with an RRSP balance, the balance will get paid out (about 100K) with 25% withholding from Canada. I'm fine with that.

The estate won't need to file a 706 form because I won't be worth more than 5.5 million upon death.

Is the RRSP payout considered income for US purposes to the estate, thereby requiring a 1041?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I believe your statements are correct. the only RRSP-related income the estate might have is income generated by the RRSP between death and disbursement.

Of course, if any of the beneficiaries of the estate are non-residents of US, 1041 must be filed in any event.

HOWEVER, the RRSP is considered in Canada to be collapsed the day of death (unless rolled over to spouse), so it needs to be reported (gross and taxable portions) in the 1040 for the deceased.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
kjtpptt

Post by kjtpptt »

Forgot about the non-resident beneficiaries....

Thanks for the response. Good comments.