tips on best unreg investment practice for dual citiz

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 am

tips on best unreg investment practice for dual citiz

Post by tdiddy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 pm

hi everyone, two physician household trying to sort out new corporate tax policies

our situation is one CCPC held by Cdn citizen with US/Cdn citizen as employee. Previously USD/CDN drawing only 140K for living expenses and RRSP room/contributions. With new changes proposed will now for tax efficiency need to draw 200K to USD/Cdn and invest about 50K/year in un-reg account.

Trying to keep my US filing as simple as possible.

I know to avoid mutual funds. Not using TFSA (should I rethink this?).
Are ETFs ok? What about Canadian swap based ETFs? Perhaps this account would be a good spot for US held ETFs (I guess this would make Canadian filing harder with exchange rate issues etc)

Is records for Norbert's gambit in unreg a disaster in this situation?

Post Reply