Required to file Form 8965 (Health Coverage)?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ethanpurdy

Required to file Form 8965 (Health Coverage)?

Post by ethanpurdy »

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I need to file 8965. I was a resident of Canada throughout 2016. Based on that I would need to file an exemption on the form.

However, I am under 26 and my parents paid for me to remain on their insurance (they live in the US). Based on the instructions for the form one must complete the form if "For one or more months of 2016, you or someone else in your tax household didn't have minimum essential coverage". Based on this I should not be required to file the form.

I ask because my accountant is charging a hefty fee for the form. My understanding is that I should not need to file the form and hence that fee would not be applicable to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
ethanpurdy

Post by ethanpurdy »

Reviewing the instructions determining if you need to file is in the following order:

1. Can you be claimed as dependent?
2. Did you have minimum necessary health coverage?
3. Are you eligible for an exemption?

In my opinion because I qualify for #2 (and hence, don't proceed to question #3) 8965 does not need to be filed.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you had coverage, then you check box on line 61 and you are done.

Your parents would have received a 1095 form with your name on it. You don't need this to claim you were covered but it would be good to check on this.

How much is this guy trying to gouge you?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

line 61 of 1040.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ethanpurdy

Post by ethanpurdy »

I'll have to talk to my parents to see if they got a 1095 for me.

Price for excemption C on 8965 is $195 USD.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You just saved your self $200.
ethanpurdy

Post by ethanpurdy »

I'm still battling. He does not want to do line 61 on 1040 and is insisting 8965 needs to be filed (and the $195 paid).

It's been a fair bit of back and forth and I'm growing increasingly frustrated at the price and unwillingness to do this alternative method.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Get your parents' 1095
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Guess you will be using someone else next year -- and ever more.

Way to piss off someone who will be filing taxes for the next 50 years.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By the way. that is NOT the alternative method. it ios the method used by all who have insurance coverage, like you and your parents.
ethanpurdy

Post by ethanpurdy »

Thanks for the responses Nelsona!!

I'm going to get the 1095-A. And yes, I'll be searching for help elsewhere if this doesn't get resolved.

I'm guessing being a non-US resident but still being on my parent's health coverage is causing some issues in the software/system which is why it directs to the 8965 instead of line 61 on 1040.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is HIS problem.
victoriaguy

Post by victoriaguy »

Sounds like it's causing problems in HIS internal software systme. ;P