Cdn filing as US resident, T4, real estate

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

melissadkb

Cdn filing as US resident, T4, real estate

Post by melissadkb »

Hello,
My situation is a little bit weird. We are Canadian citizens, were living in Quebec. Since mid 2015, my husband is in US on TN visa and me - on TD. I continued to work remotely for my Canadian employer, get paid based on my SIN and receive a regular T4 at the end of the year, with all Cdn taxes at source withheld. We filed Cdn taxes for 2015 since we figured our stay in the US to be temporary. However, in 2016 we will have to file as US residents. We have Cdn real estate and we didn't know about the withholding tax, so nothing done there :) My questions are:
1. Do we file "Income tax benefit return" or "Income tax benefit return for Non-residents?
2. On Cdn T1161 - do we list our real estate properties (all of them are residential rental properties)? Will we pay disposition tax on those?
3. We would like to file T1159 - section 216 - but can we do that for 2016 even if we have not filed NR6?
4. Can we file both T1 and section 216 for 2016?
5. In the US return, I plan on enter my income as a foreign income and file 1116, general category. Do you think this is correct?

Thank you in advance for your help. I really have hard time figuring those out