US Income living in canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bobby123

US Income living in canada

Post by bobby123 »

i work in US with a TN and live in canada. i commute every day back and forth. i wanted to file my canadian return and was wondering what is the best software to do my canadian taxes that will take into factor my us income and the exchange rate on my us income
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Any Cdn software can handle this, but you will have to put in the numbers and calculate the numbers in C$ using published exchange rate(s).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

Is there any way I can contact you? I am using hr block software and had a couple of quick questions? I would really appreciate it
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. Ask your questions here, and someone might answer. In any event, I try not to handle software questions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

For foreign taxes paid , do I add up federal, social security and Medicare taxes or just report federal taxes ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

All of that. The fed and state tax are the ones calculated on those returns, and the fica comes from your w-2
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

How much foreign tax did you pay? (enter the amount in Canadian dollars)

for foreign tax - i am adding federal income tax, social security tax and medicare tax from my W-2 and taking that amount and multiplying by bank of canada avg rate for 2016. that seems correct right? am i missing anything?

Thanks for your help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Reread what I said. "The fed and state tax are the ones calculated on those returns, and the fica comes from your w-2"
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

is there a number i can call you at? i will really appreciate your help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, This is not complicated.
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

Why do we not include the Medicare and social security tax?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Booby, maybe you are unaware, but FICA IS social security and Medicare tax. When you saw "fica" in my earlier response, did you simply ignore it? A simple google would have given you the answer.
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

so for example on my W-2, if i had the following

federal income tax withheld - 5000
social security tax withheld - 1000
medicare tax withheld - 500

on my canadian return for "foreign taxed paid" line, would it be 6500?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

NOOOOO!

I said you determine you fed tax and state tax from your TAX RETURN!!!!
bobby123

Post by bobby123 »

Ok I think I got it . For foreign taxes paid do i add up my federal tax withheld and state tax withheld ?