Canadian In-Laws & Private Mortgages?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ScottPens

Canadian In-Laws & Private Mortgages?

Post by ScottPens »

I'm a US Citizen, married to a Canadian Citizen. She is now a US Permanent Resident.

Her parents have offered to us, very generously, to be the private mortgage lender for a home for us in North Carolina. They seem to be willing to do so not for us to not pay them back a mortgage, but to help us incase the economy is not doing so great.

What is the impact on us, tax-wise, and what would be the impact on them tax-wise, for both the Canadian and US Side?

This can be a sizeable mortgage, possibly around 800k USD so obviously I am concerned for what might happen.

Anyone have any experience with this or guidance? I suppose, the other option is they can give us a downpayment sort of cash gift - but the other option for them as a Private Mortgage would have its explicit advantages.

Thoughts?