Book cost & Market value on quaterly report RSSP of a TN

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tony

Book cost & Market value on quaterly report RSSP of a TN

Post by tony »

I have a RSSP account (from IG) producing quaterly report with a book cost value.
1. Do I still need to sell & buy again to minimize tax by IRS?

However, my another RSSP account (with manulife) produce quaterly report but no book cost value.
2. Do I still need to sell & buy again to minimize tax by IRS for this RSSP?

I am totally confused with this selling & buying.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. Yes, if the book value is less than the market value. you are on the hook, in future, for the the increase from book value.
2. Same answer, but now YOU need to determine the book value.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tony

Post by tony »

for item number 2, (manulife said there is no book cost - this is registered fund in Canada - no tax in canada, so book cost only applies to stocks) Does it mean that I have to calculate manually? How can IRS believe what I calculate? how will they verify if I lie or not? How to justify the number if there is a disagreement?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Manulife's answer was of course ridiculous. EVERYTHING has a cost.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

How else would you or they determine your account performance?
So you will have to calculate it manually. IRS will accept this. Do it now while you still have the records, and then put it away untul you start collapsing your RRSP.