concurrent filing

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

diane1

concurrent filing

Post by diane1 »

My priority date is November 2003 (EB3) so, with the June Visa Bulletin showing gargantuan leaps in my category, it is current. My I140 receipt date is February 27, 2007. I really do not want to pay for premium processing (two tiered government services just do not sit right with me) but I need some help weighing my options. If I file 485 now with the I140 receipt, will it be accepted and processed concurrently? If the dates retrogress again before it is processed, what happens to my application?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are free to file I-485 at the beginning of June. It will be process as if you had sent it in with your I-140 petition.

I would not wait, as the dates are sure to either retrogress or become unavailable before year-end, and the queue is surely going to get longer before it gets shorter.

As long as your TN (if you are on TN) is in good shape (ie. not up for renewal in the next 4 months), you should get EAD in plenty of time. If your TN is up for renewal, get that first (that will cost your $1000) and then submit I-485.

If dates retrogress after you file I-485, processing can (and will) continue on your case -- except for final approval.

it is up to you if you want to upgrade your I-140 to premium, until this month I would have said this was a waste, but you could be in the position of getting your GC by september. Is that worth $1000.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
diane1

Post by diane1 »

Thanks Nelson. I am on H1B (7th year) and will likely forego the EAD/AP route. Would the RD for my I485 be the date it was received or would it be treated as though it were submitted with the I140? I don't mind waiting for my green card so long as I can stay in status in the interim without much ado.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not quite sure what your question is. Receipt date is meaningless, your I-485 will be on the pile and will or will not get approved 'whenever'. It can only be approved, of course, once I-140 is approved. As you can imagine, there will be scads of filers in the next 2 months, and, since your I-140 is not approved, it is unlikley that you will get your GC before October.

Since you won't be getting EAD, you will need to maintain working status until your GC arrives -- which would mean renewing H1, which could be quite a bit more costly that simply getting EAD and AP. This is optional though.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
diane1

Post by diane1 »

I guess my question was where in the pile my 485 would be...would it be put with those that were submitted in February (when my I140 was submitted) or at the end of the line. It doesn't really matter...it feeds my obsessive monitoring of processing dates and online updates. Hopefully my 140 will be approved in time for me to get a 3 year H1B extension.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

FIFO is a dead concept at USCIS.