Volunteering

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

gnuelnivek

Volunteering

Post by gnuelnivek »

Hi all,

I am a Canadian working in the US under a TN visa. Was wondering if anyone knows if there are any restrictions to volunteering under this visa. Can I do it? Do I have to report it? etc... I would be potentially volunteering for a government agency, if that matters.
Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can volunteer for an organization which normally uses volunterrs, in a position that is typically unpaiud.

For example, you could volunteer for Red Cross, but not in a job that they normally pay for. You couldn't volunteer for your local city hall for example, to do web services, since this is something that they usually pay for.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
gnuelnivek

Post by gnuelnivek »

Nelsona,
Thanks for the reply. The volunteer position that I am looking into is for a Firefighter reserve. This is a position that is advertised as a volunteer position, but would it in conflict with my visa because there are staff firefighters being paid to do the same job? Form what I understand there will be no monetary compensation at all, i.e. bonuses. Appreciate your thoughts.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As I said, you can volunteer for organizations that typically have volunteers. If your position is typically unpaid, you are fine (it was ven advertized as such).

Red cross volunteers are not paid, and are volunteeers, even though many in that organization have (over)paid jobs.

You are fine.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D