H1B visa AND a TN ??

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Valleycanadian

H1B visa AND a TN ??

Post by Valleycanadian »

Is it possible to have both a H1B visa and a TN visa at the same time?

Some background information that may help ... my husband has been on an H1 for almost 8 years now. We are in the process of trying to get green cards and because it is taking so long he is renewing the H1 yearly (because we've passed the 6 year term). He has an opportunity to do some additional work (for a totally different company than the H1 is for) but we are unsure if it's even possible to hold both the H1 and the TN at the same time.

Thanks for any help you can be :)
Bill_S

Post by Bill_S »

Canadians don't get H1 or TN [i]visas[/i]. You get H1 or TN [i]status[/i]. USCIS will only allow you to have one status at a time. You could have a TN for two different companies, for example, but you can't have H1 for one and TN for the other.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

visa/status issues aside... It is possible to 'shuttle' between H1 job and TN job, but on;y if you live near the border (or in canada), since you must ENTER into US on the status you intend to work.

I would forget about the TN job until you get EAD, then just work wherever you wish with EAD.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Valleycanadian

Post by Valleycanadian »

Thank you both for your answers. I figured there wasn't much chance at having both but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask !!

I'm glad that there is a forum like this up and running where I can ask questions like this :)