Required to "Prove Ties to Canada"?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Webtiger

Required to "Prove Ties to Canada"?

Post by Webtiger »

I'm just hearing, don't have a lot of details, that WA/BC POE's are now asking TN applicants to "prove ties to Canada" in the form of apartment leases or home/land mortgages.
This is NEW in the past 2 weeks has anyone been asked directly to prove their ties to Canada when applying at a POE?
I got this tidbit from a former/potential employer who has TN candidates running into this issue.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As you well know, ties are not required. Scare tactic
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Webtiger

Post by Webtiger »

I know that, you know that, Jim Eiss most certainly knows it but this employer is nervous. Possibly nervous enough not to advance me a job offer because of this "scare tatic".
I'm desperately trying to find out if anyone they sent for a TN has actually been denied because of a lack of ties to Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

To refuse you a job offer on that basis sounds fishy.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Webtiger

Post by Webtiger »

Here's what I got from the Visa Co-ordinator at the company:

"As of lately, the border have been cracking down on Canadians who have been in the US for a long time on a TN. Questioning whether or not they have the intent of returning to Canada once their assignment is over. The easiest way to prove this is to show that you still own an apartment or property in Canada and that you have bills and bank accounts in Canada that you will be returning to once employment in the US is over."

I'll leave it up to the board members to draw their own conclusions about this new enforcement tactic.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is the standard of the B2 tourist entry.

TNs have never been held to this standard.

Sounds like the rednecks are bitter at not being able to go out and shoot mexicans down south.
Webtiger

Post by Webtiger »

Well Nelson there's not a lot to do about this I received a second email that says this company had a person denied entry:
"We have had a guy be denied entry on a TN as he didn't have any connection with Canada any more. He was told not to try coming down for 6-12 months until he had been able to reestablish residency in Canada. He wasn't even allowed to come down to pick up his dogs that he had left with a sitter for the weekend. Other candidates have been asked to show proof of ties to Canada. Luckily they could so they were able to come down."
Again, please don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger and a very unhappy one at that.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As with all border denials, going with a lawyer is best.

Also, flying is always an option.

There is nowhere in the NAFTA feildbook that stipulates residency requirements... and there has been no regulatory change.

Sounds like the border flunkies need to get some remediation
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You might want to post this on a more TN-visited site, like twincities or khanna