Tax on Furniture for non-settlors?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

webcite_99

Tax on Furniture for non-settlors?

Post by webcite_99 »

I am a US citizen and my wife is Can with Green Card. We live and work in the US. We are thinking of buying or renting an Apartment in Quebec to have as a place for when we visit. If so, we would most likely want to bring several rooms worth of furniture with us to furnish the place.

1) What if any tax or duty implications would there be for us.

2) Also, what if anything should we do to avoid any issues at the border? My concern is that they will see us as potential settlors.

3) Semi unrelated, are there any issues if I loan a Canadian resident my US car for them to use in Canada for an extended period of time? I wouild still be a US citizen and resident and the owner of the car. They would just be borrowing it.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

On #3), Absolutely do not do this. There are endless problems with this, from a customs point of view, insurance, police.... Forget it.

For income tax, you would become targes. This does not necesarily mean that you would be taxable, but would probably have to report.

For duties, i would look at the cbsa site

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

or call the border office you usually cross. You might want to tell them what you are planning and ask them. Your wife, of course, is free to do whatever she pleases on entering Canada, but you both would want to show that you still have all your ties in US
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think the term seasonal resident would best apply to your situation, and the fiollowing brochure outlines what you need to do:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4 ... 06-11e.pdf

You can basically bring in furniture owned before you first take possesion of the residence duty-free, so long as you don't sell them in Canada within a year.

You will hav to list these on a b4a
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D