Marital Status

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Kty

Marital Status

Post by Kty »

This year I'm eligible to file my marital status as common-law. My fiance has an outstanding student loan through the Canadian Gov't. Last year his tax return wasn't issued to him, instead it went towards his debt.

My question is now that I have to file as common-law will my tax return be taken towards his outstanding debt? What are the differences in filing common-law/married and single? We currently live in Canada. Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Married or not, you don't file a 'joint' return in canada, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (except that you are now 'married' to a person who has debts).

They aren't going to take your refund away from you, just his.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
jenny26

Re: Marital Status

Post by jenny26 »

Hello,

There is no special qualification for both these filing statuses. A spouse may choose either file jointly or separately but you can take both the statuses for the year. You were together living as a husband & wife in common law marriage.
Hope you satisfied with my suggestion.
Thanks...