APPLYING FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY FROM WITHIN CANADA

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

phideltbjc

APPLYING FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCY FROM WITHIN CANADA

Post by phideltbjc »

hi,

does anyone have information on applying for permanent residency from within Canada. my wife and i are currently in Canada via a NAFTA work permit for a year. can i apply for PR from within Canada based on the fact that i'm working? i am in an apartment, i'm working full-time and also already have a SIN. also, length of time of processing PR applications from within is shorter?

any help will be appreciated!!! thanks in advance.
phideltbjc

Post by phideltbjc »

Sorry...more info. to clarify. My wife and I are both U.S. citizens and hold a valid U.S. passport...no kids....have property in the U.S., etc.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

In view of the fact it seems you have been adnitted to Canada on a work permit for more than 1 year, you can indeed apply from within Canada, but this does not help in your case.

The visa post to submit your application to when applying from within Canada is ... Buffalo, NY
phideltbjc

Post by phideltbjc »

hi ron,

what did you mean that it would not help me in my case? also, there seems to be a separate form to fill out when applying from "in Canada" as compared to "out of Canada," right? lastly, i recently heard about a provincial nominee certificate....would that be helpful in my case?

thanks.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

I meant that it will not help you because, as a U.S. national, the place where you would have to apply if you were still living in the U.S. is the same - Buffalo, NY. Thus it makes no difference that you are in Canada.

The form "Applying for permanent residence from within Canada" is not for your case. Don't let the CIC web-site confuse you.

If you can obtain a provincial nomination that would speed up the process, but you would still be applying for permanent residence in Buffalo.
phideltbjc

Post by phideltbjc »

thank you very much Ron!

that second paragraph was what i was trying to understand and you clarified it for me...