Green card ties

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

maricami

Green card ties

Post by maricami »

I'm a green card holder moving back to Canada this year. I found a job with a US employer and will work from home in Canada. Is this kind of tie strong enough to be able to keep the GC active for a few of years ? I'm planning to keep bank accounts and credit cards active in the US. I will have to sell my house though.
flames9

Post by flames9 »

I do not belive so, I recall reading on a US State dept page that one has to reside in the USA
maricami

Post by maricami »

I think so too, but I thought there was a form I could fill out before leaving the US to extend the life of my green card, as long as I keep ties with the US. That's why I was wondering if the job I found could help. Not having a US address will not help, but maybe the job could... not sure !
flames9

Post by flames9 »

I'm a Cdn, living down in the USA (green card holder) and I belive the normal time frame 1 can depart the USA is 1 yr, but there is a waiver on ecan get to extend that, but I may be mistaken. Best of luck
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not really a topic for this board... but to maintain GC once you leave US foir anymore than one year (the rule is six months without question, one year with permission), is by maintaining OBVIOUS ties in US, like a HOUSE, or a job with a US firm.

Merely visiting US, even every weekend, would not be sufficient. you need a US address that you can point to has having been maintained for residentila or business purposes.

that is why it is always advisable, if you are relly intent on keeping GC after leaving US, to simply get US citizenship. Then you don't have to worry about ties.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D