Foreign Tax Credits

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CanadaTOUs

Foreign Tax Credits

Post by CanadaTOUs »

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding Foreign Tax Credits and how to fill out forms T2209 and T2036. Note I am a Canadian Citizen working in the US but living in Canada.

I always have an accountant file my taxes, but recently I was notified that this form may be filled out incorrectly by a colleague.

What is the proper formula for Line 431 on the T2209? Is it:
Method 1) Line 431 = (Federal Taxes Owed for the year) + (State Taxes Owed for the year)
OR
Method 2) Line 431 = (Federal Taxes Owed for the year) + (State Taxes Owed for the year) + (Social Security Paid) + (Medicare Paid)

My accountant used method 1 and applied Social Security as RRSP contributions and left out Medicare entirely. This would reduce taxable income instead of being converted to tax credits (thus raising what I would owe in Canada vs method 2).

Thanks in advance for the help.
nelsona

Re: Foreign Tax Credits

Post by nelsona »

Your accountant was incorrect. FICA taxes (both SS and Medicare) are foreign taxes eligible for foreign tax credit, and have nothing to do with pension, RRSP, etc.

A tax credit would always be better than a deduction in any event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CanadaTOUs

Re: Foreign Tax Credits

Post by CanadaTOUs »

Thanks nelsona, greatly appreciated.