Currency fluctuations on GICs

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ctocargo

Currency fluctuations on GICs

Post by ctocargo »

Hello,
I'm a Canadian living in the US as a permanent resident. I purchased a 1y GIC in Canada last year and I'm reporting interests in my US tax returns and will pay US taxes on these interests. Also reporting this account as a foreign account on 1040 and on FBAR.

Now, let's say that the CAD gained 10% while the GICs were invested. Is there a point where we need to report the currency gain to the IRS and if so, is this considered a capital gain or misc income on form 1099? The source CAD dollars were always in Canada and remain there for now.

Conversely, if the exchange rate went down 10%, would this constitute a deductible loss, and if so on the GIC expiration day or only if I convert the CAD dollars to USD one day?

Thanks in advance
ctocargo

Re: Currency fluctuations on GICs

Post by ctocargo »

If anyone wonders, I found out that currency fluctuations need to be reported as fixed income under Other Income in TT.
I'm still unsure if buying and selling a certificate of deposit triggers a need to report the currency fluctuation or if I should report it only when/if I exchange the CAD back to USDs. Is anyone knows, or has a source, I would definitely appreciate.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

GICs are CAD cash, not an investment property. There is only currency gain/loss when CAD cash is changed into something else (a stock, a house, toothpaste). All your CAD cash is lumped together. It is only when it changed into something other than cash that there possible currency gain/loss.

So, only if you specifically changed USD into CAD and bought a GIC, and then cashed in the GIC and converted it to USD or some other investment could you possibly determine a gain/loss. Otherwise, it is simply moving Cdn cash from one bank account to another, which is not a capital transaction.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ctocargo

Post by ctocargo »

Ah, thank you for this! I was really puzzled because of an article that I read describing how currency fluctuations on Bonds would need to be reported.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Bonds are a different animal, since they are traded.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D