Question about living in the US for 2 months as a commuter

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Grad467_2

Question about living in the US for 2 months as a commuter

Post by Grad467_2 »

Good day all.

So I am a Canadian citizen that works for a US employer (under a TN visa) and my status would be deemed as a commuter. During 2022, I ended up moving to the US and lived there for 2 months (mid-Jan to mid-Mar) due to my work schedule (change of jobs). I did not inform the CRA of this move (not sure if I should have?).

Would I file my US / Canadian 2022 tax returns as I did in the past (as a commuter for 12 months) or do I have to take into account the 2 months of income, 401K contributions, taxes paid, etc differently then the other remaining 10 months? Also, if I have to inform the CRA of the 2 months, what form would be used for this (trying search but to no avail)?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
nelsona

Re: Question about living in the US for 2 months as a commuter

Post by nelsona »

Your residence status did not really change, so you would continue filing as you had in the past.
While it is possible that one would leave Canada and then return in the same calendar year, it would really only be if there was a drastic change in plans after you left.
Two months outside Canada would hardly classify as "moving". If you had "moved" you would have a stste driving license, have cancelled or notified your provincial health insurance, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Grad467_2

Re: Question about living in the US for 2 months as a commuter

Post by Grad467_2 »

nelsona wrote:
> Your residence status did not really change, so you would continue filing
> as you had in the past.
> While it is possible that one would leave Canada and then return in the
> same calendar year, it would really only be if there was a drastic change
> in plans after you left.
> Two months outside Canada would hardly classify as "moving". If
> you had "moved" you would have a stste driving license, have
> cancelled or notified your provincial health insurance, etc.

And this is why nelsona is the goat.. Thank you.

I am pretty (actually really) frugal and started doing the tax thing for myself and then my family over the last several years. This site has been nothing but amazing with knowledge..

Thanks once again Mr. Nelsona