Resident Status in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SHAM

Resident Status in Canada

Post by SHAM »

Hi,
I am requesting your kind advice for the below:
My family and I (Total 6) landed in Canada on 2009 as a permanent residence, we stayed in Canada 30 days ONLY (furnished apartment) and we returned back (entire family) to the same Country we came from; we have only Canadian Bank joint account (very small amount, the account might be Closed directly by the Bank or it might be considered dormant because it wasn’t used for long period), we applied for OHIP also, kindly note the followings:
1- We don’t have home in Canada
2- We don’t have Canadian driving licenses
3- We don’t have Car or any vehicle in Canada
4- We don’t have Canadian Credit cards
5- We don’t have any other personal property in Canada
6- We don’t have retirement saving plans or investment account in Canada
7- We don’t have any social membership in Canada
8- We don’t have any membership with any professional organization in Canada
9- Since we left Canada on 2009 None of my family members visited Canada except me, I visited Canada 3 times only, on 2013, 2014 and 2015, Noting that each visit was limited to 3 Days only
10- Our PR Cards Expired on 2015 (Entire family)
11- We don’t have any type of income from Canada
12- Due to some family commitments, we don’t have intention to return back to Canada.
13- We didn’t file any Tax returns in Canada.
Considering the above facts, are we considered Nonresident for tax purpose in Canada,
Thank you in advance for your kind help
nelsona

Re: Resident Status in Canada

Post by nelsona »

You were NEVER a tax resident of Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SHAM

Post by SHAM »

nelsona wrote:
> You were NEVER a tax resident of Canada.
Thank you Nelsona for your response,
As posted above, Kindly be reminded that the entire family members have applied for (OHIP) provincial health coverage in 2009, Does that and the landed immigrant status are considered primary residential ties in our case? are we still Nonresident of Canada for Tax purpose?
Regards
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Bo. only your RESIDENCE s a primary ties, and you wee not Canada long enough.
Why are you wondering about this? You di not fullfill any of your Landed Immigrant requirements.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SHAM

Post by SHAM »

nelsona wrote:
> Bo. only your RESIDENCE s a primary ties, and you wee not Canada long
> enough.
> Why are you wondering about this? You di not fullfill any of your Landed
> Immigrant requirements.
Thanks Nelsona for your response
We are not familiar about the Canadian tax rules, as such we are coming to you requesting your explanation whenever we have doubt about it,Kindly note the followings:

1.I forgot to mention that the entire family members have applied for the social security numbers and that have been obtained in 2009, does that have any effect in our situation?
2.I before I know this forum ,I tried to find some information through Google and found Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual’s Residence Status in its Sub Clause (1.25) is stating the followings:
{in addition the CRA considers that where an individual entering Canada applies for and obtains landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage, these ties will usually constitute significant residential ties with Canada. Thus, except in exceptional circumstances, where landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage have been acquired, the individual will be determined to be resident in Canada}. Is that applicable to us?
Kindly be reminded that we haven’t submitted any Canadian tax return (neither Nonresident nor resident),
Kindly assist to advise the above.
Thank you in davnce
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. No
2. No
Why are you asking about something that occurred 13 years ago. You're not and have never been a tax resident of Canada.

Move on.