Renewing Ontario driver's license a significant tie?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fr33style

Renewing Ontario driver's license a significant tie?

Post by fr33style »

I'm a Canadian (Ontario) that has lived and worked in the US for the last 4 years. I didn't get a US driver's license as I don't have a car (only rental when traveling), so I still have my Ontario license, valid until end of 2019. I would prefer just renewing this licence in Ontario when I visit ext time, but curious to know if this is generally considered a significant tie that can risk my NR status? Thank you.
pl0910001

Re: Renewing Ontario driver's license a significant tie?

Post by pl0910001 »

i would believe yes as a driver's license denotes resident of that province. on the license, you need to have an address of residence within ontario. i would go to the effort to get a local driver's license.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would not be considered a significant tie, however you aren't entitled to an ON DL if you no longer live there.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Feduk

Post by Feduk »

Once you have a driver's license or any id in that region, you should have a professor you are a resident.
Feduk

Post by Feduk »

Once you have a driver's license or any id in that region, you should have a professor you are a resident. I think the easiest option for you is to obtain a driver's license in your current area. However, I wouldn't recommend trying fake ones to make everything easier since many https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/pri ... anner.html can detect any face document. Moreover, if you know the rules and how to drive, it will be easier for you to obtain them or if you aren't sure you'll stay for a long time in the USA you can get a temporary one.