Implications of Canadian Contribution in Roth 401k

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Re: Implications of Canadian Contribution in Roth 401k

Post by nelsona »

That is for someone who leaves Canada and doesn't come back, doesn;t take CERB, etc. They can begin being a US resident when they leave and stay away, and subsequently meet SPT in a reasonable time. You have to at some point meet one of the US definitions of tax resident, which I don't believe you have, until at the earliest Jan 2021 (assuming you were living physically in US on that date).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
johnnyappleseed

Post by johnnyappleseed »

Yeah, so I think I've resigned myself to that reality. The question then becomes what to do with my backdated Roth IRA contribution that I made in 2021 for 2020, i.e. do I ask the trustee to do a recharacterization to a Traditional IRA or do I leave it be since it won't be an issue? Additionally, is it fine to keep contributing to my Roth 401k, which I started doing in Summer 2020 while working in the US, or do I need to immediately stop contributing and possibly take the 10% withdrawal penalty?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Remember that a Cdn contribution only "hurts" you when you are a Cdn resident. You aren't taxed in canada on your Roth even if you did previously make a Cdn contribution, if you are a non-resident.

Personally, If my intention is to amass a large Roth over my US career and then return to Canada, I would do whatever my 401(k) trustee allows me to do to eliminate the Roth portion asap, if at all possible, while in US. Once that is done, start a fresh Roth401(k) from scratch
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D