wife tax resident in Canada while I am non-resident?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ilysm

wife tax resident in Canada while I am non-resident?

Post by ilysm »

Hi, my wife and I bought a home in Canada by the end of 2020 (have both of our names on the home), and plan to relocate to Canada. We got Canada PR 2 years ago but never relocate here. Recently, I found that finding a job is extremely hard in Canada, compared with US. Now we are thinking about living separately in Canada and US in the next 3 years until she get the Canada citizenship and go back to US. If I continue to work in US, keep my permanent home in US, and come to visit Canada from time to time, may I ask my wife to file the tax in Canada as resident, while I do not file tax in Canada as a non-resident?

The following article said "having a spouse in Canada is considered to be a major residential tie." However, I do remember some posts in this forum that husband works in US and wife and children live in Canada, and husband remains to be a Canada non-resident. Just want to confirm legally if our plan works or not.
https://www.howlandtax.com/articles/non ... spouse.htm

Thanks very much for the advices from nelsona and anyone else!
nelsona

Re: wife tax resident in Canada while I am non-resident?

Post by nelsona »

It will work, but really SHE should be coming to visit you, more regularly than YOU visit her. That will ensure that your "centre of vital interests" remains in US. Otherwise your visits to canada will show that his where your family is really located.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ilysm

Post by ilysm »

Thank you very much nelsona!
Chet Funk

Post by Chet Funk »

I am very serious about my health that’s why I often read such posts to get some useful information to improve my fitness. Folks like you, share wonderful [url=https://www.bestessayservicereviews.com/]best cheap essay writing service[/url] and ideas to assist me to improve physical fitness.