Canada foreign income tax credit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

northmount183

Canada foreign income tax credit

Post by northmount183 »

Based on my understanding, No matter how much foreign income tax you pay, as a tax payer in Canada, the maximum federal foreign tax credit is $39,462; and the maximum provincial foreign tax credit is $23,851. Is it correct? Thanks.
northmount183

Re: Canada foreign income tax credit

Post by northmount183 »

Sorry, the previous post was confusing, I think my question is : is there a maximum limit for the foreign tax credit? Or up to the amount which is less between the foreign tax paid on the foreign income or the Canada tax someone should pay on the foreign income thank you
nelsona

Re: Canada foreign income tax credit

Post by nelsona »

The maximum credit CRA and the province will allow is the prorated amount of CRA or provincial tax you would owe on that foreign income. There is no numerical limit.
Your software will handle this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D