Is 182 days/year the max one can stay in Canada and still hope to be a non-resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Gilgamesh

Is 182 days/year the max one can stay in Canada and still hope to be a non-resident

Post by Gilgamesh »

Dual citizen, retired.

Do not apply for provincial health, but purchase travelers health insurance while visiting Canada

Home in both place, other than that everything else is in USA...Retirement accounts, drivers license, voting, club membership

How long can I stay in Canada and still not pay Canadian taxes?

P.S:Just Looking @ all options... It looks like it’s cheaper to buy travelers health insurance than pay Canadian taxes. So wondering whether I can do this for a few years. I am thinking ~120 days in USA and 245 days in Canada (doesn’t have to be continuous, can break it up if needed....like travel to USA for two weeks in between)...what if it is 120 in USA, 60 in a third country, 215 in Canada...if 182 is max, then we might just have to do that.

Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Is 182 days/year the max one can stay in Canada and still hope to be a non-resident

Post by nelsona »

You will be considered resident of US until you spend 183 days in a calendar year Canada. Then you will become resident of that country until you can prove that you have re-established residency in US. AS is said, Canada is the country that determines residency.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gilgamesh

Re: Is 182 days/year the max one can stay in Canada and still hope to be a non-resident

Post by Gilgamesh »

Thank you...I knew only 85% of SS will be taxed but only recently realized there is no 50% or 85% thresholds. I was hoping to stay below the 50% threshold or just above it and pay little SS tax...Canada will tax SS just like CPP, except they are not taxing 15% of SS...it is nice that Canada doesn’t tax 15%, but I will be paying a heck of a lot more taxes in Canada for SS than I would in USA (would have been almost zero).

But at least I have the 183 day rule and purchasing Heath insurance as an option for a year or two - may be!