Cryptocurrency tax treatment

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

speer1234

Cryptocurrency tax treatment

Post by speer1234 »

IRS treatment of Cryptocurrency? Received $4000 FMV worth of crypto in Q1 2018 for goods and services I provided to a client. Traded the the crypto throughout the year to make profit from speculation (~15 trades). Cashed out and sold the same crypto for $1000 FMV in Q4 2018. For Canadian tax purposes im treating the crypto I received as business income with the crypto itself as inventory (instead of capital) so the disposition would be a inventory loss instead of a capital loss. Im following the CRA's: "Adventure or Concern in the Nature of Trade" and the advice from a Canadian CPA.

The above scenario would be: $5000 in sales ($4,000 for the work I did + $1,000 for the proceeds of selling the bitcoin), $4000 in purchases (the cost of the bitcoin received) and an ending inventory of $0

Can I do the same on my IRS taxes? I would include the proceeds of these trades on an additional Sched C. If I could this would make things much more simple as I can simply mirror my Canadian return and the FTC's would be simple.

Im dual and required to file taxes in Canada and USA
speer1234

Re: Cryptocurrency tax treatment

Post by speer1234 »

...I hope I can treat it as a business loss instead of investment loss.

Normally its a capital loss in Canada like the US but after further research and CPA advice I can treat the crypto as business inventory with citation to "Adventure or Concern in the Nature of Trade" notabley lines 13-15 here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... trade.html

If I had to report it as a capital loss in Canada instead of inventory loss I would be paying $2000 in tax on $4000 of business income (even though I only actually received $1000 after selling all the crypto).

Im hoping I can get additional opinions from others before I decide what to do.

Treating it as an investment loss will make things much more complicated to say the least. US and CA also track stock values differently (FIFO/LIFO vs Canada's Adjusted Cost Basis "ACB").
BillyRoss

Re: Cryptocurrency tax treatment

Post by BillyRoss »

Carado taxes are an important source of revenue for governments, and mining them can be a complex process. With the help of AI, governments can now automate the process of collecting carado taxes from individuals and businesses. AI-driven tools enable governments to identify potential tax evaders and ensure that everyone pays their fair share. AI also helps to streamline the process of filing returns, making it easier for taxpayers to comply with their obligations at https://www.cryptominexpress.com/mining ... investment. By using AI-driven tools to mining cardano taxes, governments can ensure that they are collecting the right amount of revenue while also providing a better experience for taxpayers.