From which province did I depart?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

worryfreeinvestor

From which province did I depart?

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

I moved to the US on May 2, 2005. so I have to do both U.S. and Canadian tax returns. I had lived in Vancouver for many years, filing my T1 for BC residents annually like everybody else. I moved directly from Vancouver to San Francisco.

Imagine my surprise when I received in my San Francisco mailbox, a T1 from CRCA. However, this is a T1 for Ontario residents. Is this just an administrative mistake by the taxman, or are all departed Canadians "deemed" to have departed from Ontario, and file their T1 for their departure year from Ontario, not their real province?

(When I was in the Canadian army in Germany, all soldiers did Ontario T1s. no matter where their home was. That's why I think it may be the case for emigrants too.)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your departure return should be completed with the BC version (laong with the guidance of the Emigrants guide of course).

There is no reason why Armed Forces personnel would ALL be classified as Ontarians.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Thanks. As for the armed forces: of course there's a reason! Like all goverment agencies they are lazy, so they just ship out the Ontario version. Actually, the bases in Germany were little Ontarios: the schools had the Ontario curriculum.

Actually, although the taxes were calculated for Ontario, no revenue was paid to Ontario. It was all federal taxes grossed up to rip us off because we were not residents of any province. I'll bet Canadian employees at Canadian embassies are treated the same way.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, they are considered deemed residents as they are employees of the state, which means they are considered to live in Canada, but not any province, and as such pay a fed non-resident surtax which in many cases is MORE than what there previous provincial taxes would have been.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D