Question on landing

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

shwuying

Question on landing

Post by shwuying »

I recieved my approved paperwork for immigration. I will be moving to Canada this summer after my house is sold if the timing is right. My question is that do I need to have a detailed list of all items that I am taking with me or can I have a 'general' list of things instead? Any suggestion is appreciated.
gogogo

Post by gogogo »

From what country are you moving? May I know? They want you to have a detailed list of the items. If you're moving from a far country, you may as well sell most of them 'cause cost of shipping may be huge. Also, where are you landing?
shwuying

Post by shwuying »

I am moving from right next door - US. I will be landing in Windsor, currently located in Detroit area. I will be probably dring a U-HAUL truck over.
shwuying

Post by shwuying »

Just a follow up in case anyone needs it.
I have listed all the goods in two sperate lists - a. for the ones that I moved with me on the same day, b. for the ones that I will move them later on. Custom said that I have up to two years to ship/move the ones that I want to move later on. However, if you drive your vehicle with you on the first trip, your vehicle will need to imported the same time. No duty was required since I am a settler, just the importation fee $175.
usagirl

Post by usagirl »

what if you the 'list of goods to follow' that you present to the immigration officer changes by the time you ship those goods over? like if we manage to sell or add more things to that list? how do we notify the immigration ppl?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The purpose of the goods to follow list is to include things you already have. If you get rid of things, so be it.

If however, you add recent purchases, they will be dutiable, not strictly because they weren't on the list, but because they would be recent acquisitions, which are not covered under that duty-free import rule.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
usagirl

Post by usagirl »

Does any one know where I could download this form from - the one where we are supposed to provide our list of personal goods that we are taking to Canada with us? I just looked on the CIC website and can't seem to find it there!

Thank you!
neiks

Post by neiks »

These forms are found on the Canada Border Service Agency site not CIC

This is the B4 form - it is for the goods that you have with you.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4/b4-05e.pdf

This is the B4A from - it is for the goods that you will be bringing at at later date. Goods can not be added to this list after you initial entry. No big deal if you don't end up bringing in all the goods on the list.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/b4a-05b.pdf