Filing US + CA Departure returns - worth paying > 1.5K?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ater

Filing US + CA Departure returns - worth paying > 1.5K?

Post by ater »

I moved to the US last year for work so I had income in both countries. My tax situation in Canada is simple: I have no RRSP, I sold all of my investments (some capital gains here, I held ETFs), liquidated TFSA before leaving, and had little income. Then I moved to the US for work, bought some ETFs, invested in a 401k, and that's that.

I've been quoted 1.5-2.5K USD to have both taxes done with FBAR filing (I left > 10K in Canada).

I have a few questions:

- Given my situation, would it be worth going ahead and filing myself?

- Is there software on the Canadian side that handles a departure return?

- Is there software on the US side that handles part year dual status alien returns?

- How do I verify an accountant's credentials? Is there anything I should be looking for?

- Given my situation, what should getting both returns done cost me?

Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Filing US + CA Departure returns - worth paying > 1.5K?

Post by nelsona »

I wouldn’t in your situation
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lbeauvil

Re: Filing US + CA Departure returns - worth paying > 1.5K?

Post by lbeauvil »

I moved from Canada to the US in 97 and did my own tax reports in Canada and US! I made a bunch of mistakes and had Serbinski's firm refile 2 years of tax for me. For the first year I would recommend the use of experts.