Dual Status Return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cosurshe

Dual Status Return

Post by cosurshe »

A little background first:
We (myself and my spouse) were resident aliens (for tax purposes) until June 2018 on a F1 visa. We left USA and moved to Canada in June 2018 (less than 183 days in 2018), established a home in Canada. We aren't citizens of either USA or Canada and do not have dependents.

Here is what my income looked like

US Employer Income (while residing in USA) : x-a

US Employer Income (while residing in Canada): x-b

Contract work as a consultant (while residing in Canada, but for a US client): y

Canadian Employer income (while residing in Canada, from a Canadian company): z

Here is why my spouses income looked like:

US Employer Income (while residing in USA) : m-a

US Employer Income (while residing in Canada): m-b

Canadian Employer income (while residing in Canada, from a Canadian company): n

------------

Now for the questions:

After reading a bit on dual status filing (on this forum and on IRS's instructions for 1040, 1040NR-EZ, I am not sure how to proceed.

How (and to who - IRS pr CRA) do I report income based on consulting (income y). To IRS or CRA?

Do our ECI incomes (x-a+x-b and m-a and m-b) get taxes at the non-resident rates? or does x-a and m-a get taxed as resident rates, and x-b and m-b get taxed at non-resident rates?

If I am filing as dual status non-resident, should the income I made by consulting (income z) ,while residing in Canada but from a US client (to whom I provided a W8-BEN), be reported to IRS or CRA?

Thanks!
cosurshe

Re: Dual Status Return

Post by cosurshe »

Forgot to include that we'll also be filing form 8840 (closer connection statement) to indicate that we terminated our residency on the day we moved from USA to Canada.